Paddys Cycle Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, August 14, 2009

For Kids Sake!!

I just spent the last three weeks with my boys who were visiting from California and if there is one reason enough to try and stay in good shape then the answer is easy. "For Kids Sake"!!!
Being a Dad is one of many roles one has to incorporate while entertaining a 11 and 12 year old.
In the adage of the true superhero "Faster than a speeding bullet,More powerful than a locomotive.Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound." the urban Dad has much more creative roles to play dependent upon the event in Question.

For Instance
The Water Park
Where the roles can change between a variety of characters (In chronological order)

  • GREAT WHITE SHARK
  • OCTOPUS
  • REFEREE
  • LIFEGUARD
  • SMALLER SHARK
  • LIFEGUARD
  • Tiny Docile Shark
  • LIFEGUARD
  • DARE-DEVIL Extraordinaire
  • "Fear" Counsellor
The Paint Ball Assault Course
Again the Roles Vary (No resemblance to the picture but smiling is important)

  • SUPREME COMMANDER
  • TARGET
  • GENERAL
  • TARGET
  • MAJOR
  • TARGET
  • CORPORAL
  • TARGET
  • BRUISED & BATTERED EVACUEE

Of course this was only two of many events but I am sure by now you can fully appreciate the pattern of how these develop into complex scenarios.

The boys have left now, back to Northern California and although I am sad to see them go I am happy to purge the fridge and pantry from items that are extremely tasty and decedent but are so bad for my training regime.

  • Out with the Cinnamon Rolls in with the Spinach
  • Out with the Chocolate Milk in with the fat free Soy Milk
  • Out with the Blue Bell Ice cream (Minus one Spoon) in with the Blueberries

One of the things that I know that my kids is that interaction is paramount.I realize that if I don't stay reasonably fit and active in my own life and lifestyle it makes a huge difference in what I am able to do with my kids.

It would be so easy to throw a video game in their general direction, or turn on the TV but to me that has a similar feel to pushing the "Snooze" button on the alarm clock.

I am trying to get my boys into cycling and Sam the oldest (12) was quite thrilled when he was able to sustain a 20+ Mph clip for 5 minutes or so on his first road bike experience. (Sam Right)











JACK -

No comments:

Post a Comment