Paddys Cycle Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"But Why? Some say the Moon?

In the transformational style of JFK we were asked the simple question of where our motivation lies..... He goes on to say "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organise and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win".
Training, and in particular cycling holds the same challenges as long as we except the basic tenets:

  • Challenge is one that we are willing to accept

  • Challenge is one that we are NOT willing to postpone
I could very easily get up when I wake up (Now there's a Novel idea) have a hearty breakfast at Denny's or some hash browns at Mc Donald's.
I would then head out for a leisurely 10 mile ride at a brisk pace while trying to convince myself that I am exceeding the 30 min per day of exercise the Surgeon General has recommended for my basic well being.
After all that would be quite civilised. I could even meet some like minded people on the road and discuss "Leno" or other shows that you have to stay up late to see. (Bedtime is now 7 pm)

Its difficult to acknowledge, especially as you start getting into the age stratosphere of 40+ that training has elevated itself from a routine exercise to a major challenge. Those motivational juices that were once easy to cunjure become more and more difficult to stir up.
Fortunately, for me I have my own specialized custom made cattle prod in the way of my twin brother , who is also vying for the same goals.

During the Week
Do I like getting up at 3:00 am? then eating something that has the texture of cardboard and the taste of grass. As I drive to the Gym...... my X-Menesque vision can see normal people sound a sleep dreaming of waffles and pancakes. I used to promise myself that I would train after work, but as each day ended with a poor fatigued excuse I realized I had to steal some time from the other end of the day.
The morning does works for me quite well, especially as I feel so energised in starting my day but I have to admit on occasions the alarm clock has seen time fly! Only to be picked up and patched up with another layer of duct tape when I get home.

The Weekend Rides
I used to like riding with people who were slower than me. It would be a great opportunity to slow down, rest, catch my breath while convincing myself that I must be good if I am waiting for someone twenty years younger than me to catch up.

It wasn't until I heard that expression "Lipstick on a Pig" that it started to make sense.
Convincing myself that I was an average rider was only a different color of "Lipstick" and the only way I would ever improve was to cycle with riders far better than myself, and go much further than what was comfortable for me.

It sucks trying to keep up with that fast Pace Peloton, and just when you think they are waiting for you at the top of the hill as you are doing the best impression of the "I think I can" steam engine they "charge off" again leaving you with the firm resolution to set your alarm clock ten minutes earlier.

There are no easy fixes! all the lipstick in Macy's is not going to help. If you want to be a stronger rider you have to work harder, not hard.

This time last year I started training hard for a fantastic August event we have in Texas called the "Hotter than Hell" 100 Mile Endurance Ride. I finished the grueling ride in just under 5 hours having an average speed of 20 mph by far my best time in any cycling event to date.

Last year it was my challenge! My moon but this year is different!

I will be accompanied by my twin brother and his friend Simon from England and my regular "young buck" riding buddies Dave,Kenny, Brooke & Scott from Houston.

So the Question is "But Why 20mph....... Some say 22mph? ...That wouldn't be me of course.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe you are understanding the commmitment of commitment, dont settle for second best when you can ride with renegades

    ReplyDelete